This Wednesday, March 16th, the Struggle Continues!
Come out to the SRC to Demand:
* An End to Silencing Teachers and Students
* A Real Voice in School Change for Students, Parents, Teachers and Community Members
* A Transparent Process of School Change
Two weeks ago TAG demonstrated at the School District Headquarters, over five hundred strong, to demand an end to the exclusion of parents, students, teachers, and community residents from school reform, an end to the intimidation of teachers and students, and for a democratic, transparent process.
Since then, things have intensified:
* The District has moved to terminate Hope Moffett, allegedly for “endangering students’ welfare.” But, as even the District’s own confused recounting of the charges against Moffett indicates, her real “misconduct” was her outspoken criticism of the District’s actions at Audenreid and her unwillingness to submit to a gag order.
* The District continues to forge ahead with handing over schools to outside providers, even against mounting student and community protest, and without providing legitimate or consistent data.
* The Governor has announced the gruesome state budget, stripping at least half a billion dollars from our schools.
* Protests are spreading throughout the city — from Audenreid to King to Olney to the steps of 440.
While the SRC’s vote to fire Hope Moffett might not happen next Wednesday thanks to the efforts of the PFT and their injunction against the school district, we still need to be there to stand up for Moffett and against the culture of fear and intimidation that we all experience day in, day out.
On March 16th, the SRC will also be asked to approve outside provider matches for 8 more schools slated for privatization. In spite of growing opposition, in spite of the biggest budget crisis in thirty years, in spite of no substantive evidence that the Renaissance Schools project works, the District forges ahead.
On March 16th, hundreds of teachers will be there to say NO to intimidation, exclusion, and top down decisions.